Monday, August 11, 2008

Lessons of Ecuador…

1. Turkeys make good guard dogs…they are aggressive little creatures
2. Accepting the guinea pig…not partaking in the eating, but rather making him our community mascot. I would like to introduce you to Senor Cangahua!3. How to make a homemade toothbrush, toothpaste and shampoo…I’m working on matching Survivor Man’s resourceful skills
4. It is possible to fit an entire family (4-5 people) on one motorcycle to travel into town. In fact, it is a popular form of transportation here for families….very impressive!
5. How to detect fake money…I seem to learn some lessons the hard way.
6. Personal air-conditioning system for Ecuadorian men = rolling up their t-shirs and letting their bellies hang over their pants.
7. Ecuadorian bus drivers could out race Jeff Gordan in the Indy 500 any day on any sort of terrain.
8. I can make an entire fruit salad out of all the fruit trees in my front yard on the coast! Mandarin oranges, mangos, papaya, bananas and star fruit. (I’ve heard that during mango season people’s skin starts turning slightly yellow because the mangos are so good and everyone eats them all day long lounging in their hammocks)
9. Chickens and roosters = alarm clocks. I have seen some beautiful sunrises.

10. No water and electricity means bucket baths and romantic candle light dinners.

1 comment:

AM said...

I love your humorous take on your new living arrangements and surroundings. It must be quite an adjustment. Still, just think of all the cool, adventurous stories you'll be able to tell the rest of your life.

I mean, come on...bucket baths and candle lit dinners- it's both rustic AND romantic! Well- only maybe in my imagination but still, I think it's so cool what your doing. Your blog is the best! :-)