Thursday, August 14, 2008

And the queen goes to......

Tuesday was our big soccer match between the two Peace Corps training groups (health group vs. youth and families group). My health team brought their A game, and we played some intense soccer games!Before could start the game, we held a traditional Ecuadorian ceremony to elect a queen for the game. Each of the five communities that the PC volunteers are living in had to select a girl volunteer to represent their town. I had the honors of representing Cangahua. When I showed up for the competition, all of the other representatives were all dolled up and wearing lovely outfits. I, however, was dressed in sweatpants and a red bandana ready to play soccer. Therefore, during our lunch break, my friend Casey and I rushed to her host family’s house to try to creatively assemble an outfit for the queen competition.
We found some fabulous yellow, orange and green sheets in her closet so I decided to make dress/toga. I looked like I had stepped out of the 70s with the colorful toga and big hoop earrings. My language facilitator, Carmen, helped accessorize my outfit with a “Miss Cangahua” sash and colorful homemade bouquet. I was a little nervous at first because the staff made the ceremony very formal, and different people presented and gave speeches.
We each had to stand front and center as they announced each nominee for queen.
My Cangahua group made me a wonderful sign saying “Viva Cangahua” (with a giant guinea pig on the sign) and cheered me on the entire time. I love you guys!

It came down to candidates, the amazing Kristin, who dressed in the traditional indigenous clothing from Ecuador, and me dressed in my homemade colorful dress. We each had to give a mini-speech saying why we should be elected as the final “Reina del Deporte” (Queen of the game). I had fun with the speech and even tried to incorporate some dance moves into my presentation.
The competition was intense, and it was time to announce the “Reina.” Kristin and I held hands, crossed our fingers and nervously awaited the final decision. Drum roll please…..and the “Reina del Deporte” for 2007 goes to.........

......Senorita Cangahua…Alea Richmond!
I was crowned “Reina” with a pearl studded crown and a red “Senorita del Deporte” satin sash. I had to say a small thank you speech and take a victory walk down the sidewalk while giving the traditional Miss America wave and wiping away my tears of excitement!
Good times!




Then, onto our big soccer tournament. The health group all sported red shirts with red bandanas, and the game got intense.
Our group was shouting out cheers on the sidelines… “Tigres, leones, elefantes…mi equipo siempre esta adelante!”
Laura, Sam and I

We played for three hours straight and when time ran out, the score was tied 1-1. We had a shoot out and each team scored another point. As a result, we settled for a tie.
Wednesday, our entire training group went to Cuicocha for a three hour hike around a beautiful crater lake and volcano. You can check out more about Cuicocha Lake at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuicocha
The hike was all up hill, and we were suppose to envision the mountain as a metaphor for challenges we are going to face during our PC service. It was great weather, and my group sang Disney songs as we trekked up the trail.

At the top of the mountain was a stunning view of the lake/glacier, and we had a picnic lunch there to conclude our hike. I can tell I am already going to be sore from both the soccer game and the long hike.
Casey, Sam, Me, Chris and Laura

Omnibus 100


After we returned from our hike, we went to our favorite little restaurant called Aroma to have a snack. We hung out for quite some time, and then ended up being taste testers for the restaurant. The owners want to open a sushi restaurant in Quito and wanted us to sample their dishes. Free sushi….I couldn’t pass up this opportunity! The food was very tasty, and told them we wouldn’t mind being their food critics in the future.

I also got brave and tried ¨street meat.¨ There is a little food stand next to the bus stop that always smells so delicious but we were told not to eat food from street vendors. I figured I ate experimental sushi for dinenr so I might as well go all out and try the food at the questionable food stand that I have always been curious about....I can report back that I survived the street meat and
luckily did not get sick! Yay!


I only have one more week in Cayambe, and then I am off to Quito for a week to wrap up PC training. I become an official Peace Corps volunteer August 29th when we have our swear-in ceremony at the US Ambassadors house.

Then, I am off to Manabi on the coast to officially start my two year service. I am excited to get started working with my community, but I am going to be sad to leave my PC friends.





No comments: