Monday, June 23, 2008

Host family

Hello everyone!
I am in a small small town in Ecuador somewhat near Quito. It is very HIGH in elevation and despite what I thought I would be wearing living on the equator, I have had to wear my winter coat, gloves and warm clothes here. The nights are very cold. I bundle up and sleep in my sleeping bag under my covers in my bed and everything works out.
My host family is really nice...un madre, two daughters who are in their 30s and one has a 3 year old little girl (Erica) and a 5 month old baby boy! The dad and older son work in the military in Quito and will be visiting the weekend. I love playing with Erica and reading to her. She was shy at first, but now she spends all her time in my room.
I also live with quite a few animales....chickens, roosters, turkies, 2 cows (one of which is pregnant), guinea pigs, rabbits, one cat and a dog, completely new experience for me!
Today we had our language class, which meets at my families house in a little room next to my bedroom. It´s nice that I can roll out of bed and into my early morning class. We walked around town introducing ourselves to different community members such as el presidente of the town, the police officers and the school director. Wednesday we are returning to the elementary school to teach the kids a game and some songs about health...should be interesting. (There are 5 Peace Corps volunteers in my group)
The other volunteers are living in other towns....but I have a feeling that our town is the most rural and cold of them all. The pampering from Miami and in Quito is now over, and I can tell that the real Peace Corps experience has begun!
For the next 3 months there are festivites going on in my town and in the main city of Cayambe celebrating San Pedro. In other words, there will be lots of dancing in the streets and different events going on until 2am for 3 months straight. When in Ecuador, do as the Ecuadorians do!
I have been taking some pictures but it is hard to upload them onto this computer. I will work on that and will hopefully be able to post some soon!

I bought a cell phone! With a calling card you can call me at (011593)84577182

My address during training is
Alea Richmond
Cuerpo de Paz
Casilla 17-08-8624
Quito, Ecuador
South America

We can only receive small packages (letters) during training but I would love to hear from you!

Thank you also to everyone who came to my farewell party! I loved seeing you all before I left!

I miss you all very much and hope everything is going well!

Hasta luego!

No comments: