Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Say hello to my little happy heart

Corazon Feliz
My medical supplies finally arrived! My fridge is now filled with glucose and cholesterol tests, I have boxes packed with stethescopes, glucometers, scales and other medical supplies. I am so excited!
After doing extensive interviews in my 6 communities to find out what the communities health needs were, I found out that one of the number one causes of mortality here is due to heart disease. There is a very high percentage of people that have hypertension and diabetes.

Therefore, I am going to implement a “Corazon Feliz,” Happy Heart, program. I will be teaching 2-3 volunteers/facilitators from each of the communities how to take blood pressure and configure BMI (Body Mass Index). Accompanying the blood pressure training, I will be training the volunteers on nutrition, causes and symptoms of heart diseases, easy ways to implement physical activity into their everyday lives and other important health themes that pertain to the prevention of heart diseases.

These volunteers will then go back to their communities to teach about these health topics. I am hoping the project will be more sustainable by training the volunteers and having them lead the workshops instead of me just directly teaching to the communities. The program will be 6 months, and I am excited to get everything started. I’ll keep you posted!
My partners in crime, Sarah and Kristen who are other PC volunteers implementing the Corazon Feliz program in their communities

No comments: