Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Happy Heart continued...

Happy Heart workshop

The community volunteers are getting so good at taking blood pressure

Practicing calculating Body Mass Index

Want to figure out your own B.M.I.????

Below is the formula:

Weight (kg) = B.M.I
Height (m) x Height (m)

Lbs. / 2.2 = kilograms

Ft./ 3.3= meters

B.M.I...........Category.......................Risk of Heart Disease

<18.5...............Underweight.....................Low Risk

18.5-24.9........Normal..................................Average Risk

>25..................Overweight....................Increasing Risk

25-29.9............Pre-obesity.........................Increasing Risk

30-34.9............Obesity I......................Moderate Risk

35-39.9............Obesity II............................Severe Risk

>40...................Obesity III..........Very Severe Risk


Yay! We just finished our first set of Happy Heart workshops. We taught representatives from 6 different communities in my friend Kristen’s site. Next week, we start again in my 6 communities and then onto Sarah’s 4 communities. Happy Heart is making its way across Manabi! Hopefully in the end, we will see a positive change in the number of people who have Diabetes, Hypertension and Heart Disease. I am just happy to see so many people who are receptive and interested in the program!

Here are a couple random shots from the last week...

The butterfly that decided to hang out on Sarah’s leg during the Happy Heart workshop

Joselo’s Birthday
I brought a little blue and orange to Ecuador…Go Broncos! (PS. My host brother likes to tease me about my height. I think he has inferior height complex.)

No comments: