Thursday, January 1, 2009

Saying good-bye to 2008

After visiting my site, Dan and I headed to the Sierra where the culture, climate and food are so very different than the coast.
Bella Vista (Beautiful View) from our hike in the mountains
The Andes Mountains are so beautiful
Our chiva, tour guide bus, stopped at various waterfalls

A mini-version of me behind the waterfall. It was not easy to get that spot as I had to crawl in the dark on my hands and knees in a small compact path cut out of the rocks that winded around to the backside of the waterfall...completely worth it though!

Because Dan's flight back to Colorado was on New Year's day from Guayaquil, we had to spend New Year's Eve in the city. On our way to Guayaquil, we got to spend some time with some of my PC friends! Good times!
Right in the city of Guayaquil is a giant iguana park where the giant 3 feet lizards hang from trees and scurry across the pavement. The park was a site to see that definitely felt out of place sitting in the middle of sky scrappers and old cathedrals.
Apparently iguanas like green apples
He couldn't resist
On New Year's Eve, the Melecon was filled with people, concerts and plays with Disney characters for the kids. We saw many giant papier-mache dolls that usually represented political figures, athletes or famous singers. In the picture above, you can see Barak Obama standing next to the Olympic athlete Jefferson Perez.
At the end of the night, all of the dolls are burned. It is tradition for families to also make dolls that symbolize the "ano viejo," the old year. After a big dinner with relatives, the families also burn their dolls/the old year to start off the new year with a clean sleight.
As I was saying good-bye to 2008 and starting the new year, I also had to say good-bye to Dan. His trip had sadly come to an end. I dropped him off at the airport (which was not easy) and had to face the reality of going back to my Ecuadorian life. (Part of me was wishing I could fit into his suitcase and go back with him...it would be so nice to see you all!) Don't get me wrong, I have truly enjoyed my experience here but I miss you all and I had forgotten about the small luxuries that I had once missed. Compared to how I travel with my PC amigos, Dan and I traveled like celebrities. It was fabulous but I can tell it is going to take some time to re-adjust to my life in my small rural community.
Through our travels, however, I do feel like a better expert on what sites to suggest for future visitors! So, when you are getting ready to plan your trip to Ecuador, I can give you plenty of good advice! (Ariana and Matt, I am in the process of writing you an email right now! I can't wait!)

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Alea,
I read your blog all the time. I'm living through you. I can't wait for you to come home and Abby and I can visit all of you. She is getting so big but still little to. Thanks for checking my blog as well. Back to my home work. Love you be careful and be safe.

Love, Cindy and Abby