Monday, December 8, 2008

Chronicles of November

Well, November proved to be very busy, and I am happy to say that I started to get worn out. I feel like it is a sign that my work is finally starting to pick up and my community has started to trust that I can be a hard worker and can contribute to community projects. The next post will include pictures from my big World Aids Day event!

To fastward a little bit, when my World AIDS exhibition was over, I headed to Salinas...Miami beach look alike, to unwind. Thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Bendeck, (parents of my fellow PC friend) we stayed in a condo with an ocean-front view.
In Salinas we decided to stay in and cook. Chrissy, Geoff and Hannah, other PC volunteers, turned out to be quite the gourmet chefs.Another dance party in town center combined with a celebration for my friend’s birthday…I danced so much, they gave me a music CD as a prize (the dancing isn’t by choice…I don’t get a chance to sit down.)
Continuing with the celebrations, we celebrated my little hooligan of a host brother’s First Communion this weekend..(As much as he terrorizes my things and torments my living space, I have to say I actually thought he looked quite adorable with his Dad’s navy blue necktie, hair freshly cut and gelled for his big day. I have to admit, I found myself feeling like his proud older sister…. )

The entire family came to watch as Joselo proclaimed his faith and participated in his very first communion. All the young girls were dressed in mini-bride dresses and the boys were sporting their finest dress clothes. After the ceremony, we returned to my host family’s house for a big feast to celebrate Joselo’s accomplishments. (Sunday morning, I awoke to high pitch squeals coming from the 3 chickens my host mom was killing for this particular feast. Apparently, it is quiet the honor to have a chicken killed in your name, and this specific day, my host family killed 3. Let’s just say they were a little proud of Joselo.)
Ecua-family
Joselo’s cousin who helped keep me entertained during the long church ceremony.


Besides staying surprisingly busy this November, another Thanksgiving has come and gone. This year, however, was my first Thanksgiving spent away from home and without my dearly loved family. So, thousands of miles away from home, I decided to make the best of my situation. I had been invited to spend the holiday at the U.S. Consulate’s home in Guayaquil. It was nice to gather with other fellow Peace Corps volunteers and to eat good traditional American cooking. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the feast that we were about to devour. We ate turkey, stuffing!, garlic mashed potatoes and even cranberry sauce (which had to be imported from the States). The Consulate’s spectacular home came complete with a personal volleyball court, an outdoor pool, a magnificent patio along with an in home maid and chef. I wasn’t use to all the pampering.

What was really touching about the night was when we went around in a circle and shared what we were thankful for. It wasn’t a time of mono-tone cheesy responses but rather a time of heartfelt genuine comments that were shared amongst the group that made me tear-up several times. I feel blessed for this opportunity to serve in the Peace Corps…what a challenging but rewarding experience. I am grateful for my incredible family in the States (who loves me in spite of all my quirks and outlandish adventures), and for my great family here in Ecuador (who has welcomed me into their home like a daughter of their own).
I am also sincerely grateful for all of you! My friends mean the world to me and continue to be a great support and encouragement. You are the best.

What about you? What are YOU thankful for?

The natural beauty of this wondrous country continues to amaze me

1 comment:

AM said...

I am thankful to have had you as my friend for almost 19 years!! Can't wait to come visit you in February. :-)