Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 2 in Site

So after 10 long weeks of training, I am now officially a United States Peace Corps volunteer. Last Friday, I swore-in to service with the other 29 trainees from my Omnibus 100 at teh Ambassador´s residence in Quito.
I´m flooded with emotions...happy, scared, fear of change, fear of the unknown. Can I do this? What will my community think of me? How will I make a difference? 2 years away from my family and friends. When I return to the U.S. I´ll be 2 years older, a new president will be in office, my friends will be finishing graduate school and some will be married.
Although, I am anxious/nervous for what the next 2 years will bring, I am still happy. I am excited for the relationships I will build in my community, and to find out how I can make a positive impact, specifically focusing on health issues. I will be educating six different communities about nutrition, hipertension, diabetes, sex education, etc. I know that I am not going to save the world here, but I can make a difference.
I think about everyone back home a ton, and I thank you for keeping me updated! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers during these last 10 weeks! Thank you Courtney for the awesome music CD...good music has a way of taking me right back home. I appreciate everyone´s support, and I know it is giving me a lot of strength out here. The 2 yr. count down begins now...

Swear-In Ceremony! Laura, Corrie, William and Me

The Ambassador Heather Hodges is brand new and just arrived in Ecuador 3 weeks before our Swear-In. She gave a really nice speech, and her house was b-e-a-utiful!
Good looking Peace Corps group: Omnibus 100


Sam, my language facilitator Carmen (I love her!) and Me

Casey, Laurita, Darle, Sam and Me (I miss you girls!)


I got to meet Correa, the president of Ecuador, when he came to my community to speak this week. He is proposing a new Constitution for Ecuador.

PS. Now that I am in my site, I have limited access to the Internet...sad day. So, it may take me a little longer to respond to emails, but keep them coming because I love reading them! Love you all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

congratulations alea! i'll be teaching english - i feel the same way about not exactly being a life changing experience for those future students of mine, but i know for sure they'll be a life changing experience for me. and yours will be for you too! Have so much fun and keep us updated!!!