Saturday, February 28, 2009

Missing In Action No Longer :)

As the Ecuadorians would say, “hace los años que no te veo.” (It has been years since I last saw you.) Time has gotten away from me, and I can’t believe February has already come and gone. I have been staying quite busy since I last posted. (my birthday. Ahhh!)
So, I will do my best to catch you up to speed without writing a novel.

My host brother, Joselo, graduated grade school

Me, Joselo and his cousin Jennifer. (I could barely get him to stand next to me in a picture. It is a love hate relationship…hence, lots of patience required.) My host mom/counterpart, Cecilia, and I in Quito for Reconnect, a Peace Corps conference on developing projects.
It was Cecilia’s first time to Quito, and we had to do some scrambling before we left to find her some warm clothes to wear to bear the cold sierra weather. So, sporting a pair of my black shoes (she didn’t own any closed toe shoes), my counterpart and I took the 9 hour journey together to get to Quito where we met up with all my Peace Corps friends and their counterparts.
After the workshops for our counterparts were finished, they headed back to their sites and then my friends and I spent the rest of the week catching up, going out and speaking English!

After Reconnect, I went with my friend Chris to spend time with Sam in her site, Pacto. She lives in a cute little town that is similar in climate to my site. Good tranquilo time. My favorite part was our hike to the waterfalls. I’m looking forward to going back!

Random tree swing that reached out over a big crevasse with the river roaring below.

We headed to Ibarra for a Superbowl party. We made a seven layer dip and ate pizza trying to make the party feel as American as possible despite the fact that the game was in Spanish…(castigo! vs. penalty) Youth group conference at Crucita beach.

We are currently working on the theme sexuality, which is a very under addressed topic in my site. I help teach the workshops, and then I go to the youth group meetings to reinforce the info. that the youth promoters are teaching to their group.

Blowfish that we found out on the beach

Self-esteem activity with the Tamarindo youth group

More updates to come....

2 comments:

MyUserNameIsNotUnique said...

Tranquilo time? Be serious! No ones says that! ;) Much love!
-Dan

AM said...

After spending a few days with Alea and her Peace Corps friends, I can definitely confirm that each one of them used the word "tranquilo" instead of the English equivalent (calm/peaceful). Guess it's just one of those Peace Corps eccentricity things. ;-)